Gordon Kenneth Harris
July 7, 1913 - January 8, 2002
Gordon Kenneth Harris died January 8, 2002 at Arlington Court Nursing Home after a long illness. He was born July 7, 1913 in Middleport, Ohio to Robert W. and Lyda Harris.
After graduating from Middleport High School, he received his B.S. (with distinction) and M.A. degrees from The Ohio State University where he was a member of the marching and symphonic bands, the Men's Glee Club, Phi Kappa Sigma and Phi Mu Alpha fraternities.
He taught instrumental music at Adena, Middleport, Linden McKinley and Upper Arlington High Schools and Indianola Junior High. He was principal at Weinland Park, vice-principal at North High School and principal at Eastmoor High School. He served as Director of Fine and Performing Arts for the Columbus Public Schools and was director of the P.T.A. Music Festivals for several years. After 39 years in public education, he retired in 1974 as principal of Michigan Avenue School.
He was a life member of the N.E.A. He joined Boulevard Presbyterian Church in 1944 and served as an elder there and director of the church choir for 14 years.
He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Mary; his son and daughter-in-law, Gordon Jr. and Veda of Birmingham, Michigan; son, James R. Harris, Columbus; 6 grandchildren, Jason and Justin Harris, Chelsea (Clifford) Madden, Grant, Valarie and Marjorie Harris; 4 great-grandchildren; brother, Robert W. Harris; several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, sister Marjorie Harris and brother Eugene Harris. Thanks go from the family to the staff of Arlington Court for their loving care during his 28 month stay there.
A memorial service with Rev. James Sledge and Rev. Robert Armstrong officiating will be held at 2 pm Saturday, January 12 at Boulevard Presbyterian Church, 1235 Northwest Blvd. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Boulevard Presbyterian Church or to the Central Ohio Parkinson Society, PO Box 18313, Columbus, OH 43218. Arrangements by Deyo-Davis Funeral Home.
Gordon was a member of the marching band from 1932 through 1934 and played french horn.